Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury:
- The Jesus concept/story (c/s) is just a foolish “superstition” -- just an ancient, complicated and FOOLISH myth, with little or no basis in fact or reason.
- Said another way, Jesus was just a charismatic, religious fanatic -- liberally embellished by his biographers -- taking advantage of the pressing need of humanity to believe in, and worship, SOMEthing…
- In fact, we have 27 GOOD, specific, REASONS FOR REJECTING the Jesus concept/story OUT OF HAND…
- Believing in Jesus requires believing in "magic"!
- There is a strong NEGATIVE correlation between education level (especially in the sciences and mathematics) and belief in Jesus!
- Almost all of the Jesus story comes from a book written almost 2000 years ago (reeking of magic)! Are we supposed to take such a book at its word?
- What's with this "story,” and stories? The Jesus concept/story is much too specific and concrete... What we need is abstraction, and universal truth.
- It is also much too complicated. The truth should be simple.
- To believe that something is true is not something that we voluntarily "do" -- it is something that happens to us. Why should we be told that this is something we NEED TO DO? Why should we be rewarded (with Heaven, for heaven's sake) for something that HAPPENS to us?
- If there is a God, how can there be only one arbitrary, narrow path to Her/It/Him other than the effort to do the right?
- Why should the God of OUR particular ancestors be the real thing? How likely is that?
- And the Eastern religions/philosophies make a lot more sense anyway.
- And then, Christians say all these nonsensical things -- like, "I took Jesus as my Lord and Savior."
- And, in all honesty, they don't seem to be all that happy, or nice, either.
- The NT Jesus does not fulfill all the OT prophecies anyway (if he actually fulfills any of them).
- And then, what about all those questionable, if not dubious, PREREQUISITE beliefs?
- There is a God.
- Prophecy is real.
- The Old Testament (OT, Hebrew Bible, Tanakh) is prophetic.
- The OT predicts a Messiah (not just a Messianic age).
- The OT predicts a Messiah like Jesus.
- God would “come to us” in the flesh.
- Jesus is God.
- Jesus is also the son of God.
- We are all born as “sinners.”
- There is such a thing as Heaven.
- The only way to Heaven is through “believing in” Jesus.
- If we believe in Jesus, he pays for our sins.
- There is also such a thing as Hell.
- Those of us who do not believe in Jesus will go to Hell.
- What more is there to say? We rest our case...
V. Appellant's Caveats