1. So anyway, I intend to hold a written court (using
the debate format discussed above) in which I will try to defend my
current version of Jesus as the prophesied Jewish Messiah. (My version
is not so different from the "normative" version -- but at
the moment, I suspect that the normative version is, in fact, incorrect
in places, and I won't be trying to defend positions that I tend to
2. Ultimately, theoretically, there will be several different “prosecuting”
attorneys -- each representing a different belief system -- against
which I will try to defend my version.
3. Theoretically, these other "attorneys" will represent atheism,
Judaism, Islam, Mormonism, normative Christianity and various Eastern
4. That’s the idea so far.
5. My own version will surely change as we go along -- maybe, I'll concede
to one or more of my adversaries...
6. Clearly, I have bitten off more than I can chew.
7. But then, as we say in New York about the lottery -- “Hey!
You never know!”
8. And then, there’s always, “Nothing ventured…”
as well as several other applicable sound-bites encouraging my foolishness.
9. Including, whatever I can gain should be for the good (if there are
such things as "good," and "truth," and the truth
10. But also, because of the Internet, theoretically at
least, I should be able to recruit a lot of help (consider www.Wikipedia.com
), which is certainly what I would hope to do.
11. But whatever -- my ultimate goal is to
decide whether or not I should try to “surrender” to Jesus,
or perhaps, to decide how hard I should try.
12. And then, my immediate goal in that regard
is to effectively add up the available evidence (whatever that is) as
to whether or not Jesus was the prophesied Jewish Messiah.
13. But then, actually, I have two immediate goals. My other immediate
goal is to recruit some help. I probably won't get very far in my aforementioned
immediate goal without getting somewhere at least in this other immediate
14. (So, please let me know if you're eligible and available. It won't
take much to be eligible -- if you have a little bit of interest and
a little bit of time, and like to write, but don't need to be paid,
you've got the job. If you try to defend my version of Jesus, I'll have
to be your editor. If you want to prosecute from any other position,
you can say whatever you wish. But then too, I might have to fire you
if those who support your position vote you out (As if my project here
could ever get so far as to have anyone chomping at the bit...).)
15. But -- in a sense at least -- whatever I can do in either regard
will be a satisfying step in the right direction.
16. Since I'm the only one present so far, I will have
the "Defense" go first.
17. If I actually drum up an opponent or two, they can
either provide their own briefs and exposition and go from there, or
they can start in by confronting one or so of my specific claims --
18. Hopefully, eventually, I can drum up some real expert
19. The trick will be to somehow get the word out about my challenge.
If I can build it, they might come.